Indiana State Board of Health. Death Certificates, 1900–2011. Microfilm. Indiana Archives and Records Administration, Indianapolis, Indiana.
State-level registration began for deaths in Indiana in January 1900. Prior to that, registration was done at the county level, with most counties beginning in 1882. This collection includes an index and images of Indiana death certificates for the years 1899–2011.
Death records can provide a wide variety of details, including the following:
- name of the decedent and place of death
- color or race
- marital status
- date of birth
- father's name and birthplace
- mother's name and birthplace
- name and address of informant
- date filed
- date of death
- physician's statement and cause of death
- length of residence, if in a hospital or institution
- date and place of burial
- name and address of undertaker
- later records may include spouse’s name
Note: Social Security numbers have been redacted from the images in order to protect privacy.